Northern Territory Government

Report a crocodile

When to report a crocodile

While crocodiles are a natural part of the NT ecosystem, you should report crocodiles that are any of the following:

  • close to a swimming area
  • in an area signposted as open for swimming
  • in a residential area, such as at Darwin Harbour, Katherine River, Nhulunbuy or Borroloola
  • behaving aggressively to people or posing a risk to public safety.

How the crocodile is removed

Problem crocodiles will be removed by trained and authorised wildlife rangers - by trapping, harpooning or shooting.

Permits may be granted to other land managers to remove problem crocodiles.

Report by phone

If your report is urgent, you should phone the following:

Details to report

You will need to give the following information about the crocodile:

  • location
  • estimated size
  • time of day that it was sighted
  • your name and phone number in case the rangers need further information.