Report a crocodile
When to report a crocodile
While crocodiles are a natural part of the NT ecosystem, you should report crocodiles that are any of the following:
- close to a swimming area
- in an area signposted as open for swimming
- in a residential area, such as at Darwin Harbour, Katherine River, Nhulunbuy or Borroloola
- behaving aggressively to people or posing a risk to public safety.
How the crocodile is removed
Problem crocodiles will be removed by trained and authorised wildlife rangers - by trapping, harpooning or shooting.
Permits may be granted to other land managers to remove problem crocodiles.
Report by phone
If your report is urgent, you should phone the following:
- Darwin - 0419 822 859 or (08) 8983 2475
- Katherine - 0407 958 405 or (08) 8973 8888.
Details to report
You will need to give the following information about the crocodile:
- estimated size
- time of day that it was sighted
- your name and phone number in case the rangers need further information.